Kalibo is a town in Aklan. The town is known for the Ati-Atihan Festival and Boracay. But Boracay Island is very far from Kalibo.
How to go there?
1. By Plane. Take a flight to Kalibo International Airport.
2. By Bus. Ceres bus bound for Kalibo are available in other towns in Panay Island.
Since I came from Iloilo, I took a bus going Kalibo from Jaro Terminal. Travel time is approximately 4 hours. Fare is around Php250-300.
What’s in Kalibo?
For the many, Kalibo is just another way going to Caticlan, going Boracay. When going to Boracay Island, airfare via Kalibo Airport is much cheaper than via Caticlan Airport. Many travel agency includes land transfer from Kalibo to Caticlan Jetty Port on Boracay tour packages. Travel time from Kalibo to Caticlan is approximately 2 hours.
I just took the opportunity of Php599 airfare Kalibo-Cebu instead of getting a round trip ticket Cebu-Bacolod-Cebu. Thinking that I can still go to Boracay with the limited time I have.
With that 2 nigths and 1 day remaining before my flight back to Cebu, I can’t anymore afford to go farther from Kalibo Airport. I opt to stay in Kalibo, anyways I don’t have any reservations made for accommodations in Boracay…..and in Kalibo as well.
While on the bus on my way to Kalibo, I booked online an accommodation in Kalibo. Thanks to Agoda! I don’t have to sleep in the terminal or streets of Kalibo. 😄
June 20, 2016 – I arrived at around 7pm in the Bus Terminal in Kalibo. Ride a tricycle going to the inn. Had dinner on the nearby fast food. Back to the inn and slept. Tomorrow is another day!
A day after, I woke-up early to start wandering early. 😊
So, what’s in Kalibo?
Prepared as I am on the detours and uncertainties of life, I already did some research (days before I depart from Cebu) and these are the must-visit destinations in Kalibo, Aklan:
1. Bakhawan Eco-Park & Research Centre. Take a stroll into 1.3km of bamboo trail in a Mangrove Forest.
- Ride a tricycle going to Brgy. New Buswang. Fare is Php50. Travel time is around 30 minutes.
Tricycle is the main mode of transportation in Kalibo proper and from/to nearby barangays.
2. Jawili Falls.
- From the Bakhawan Eco-Park, ride a tricycle going to a jeepney terminal in Kalibo.
- Ride a jeep bound to Brgy. Tangalan. Travel time is approximately 45 minutes.
- Upon arrival in Tangalan proper, ride a tricycle bound to Jawili Falls. Travel time is approximately 20 minutes.
3. Jawili Beach.
- Just across the main entrance and walking distance from the Jawili Falls.
4. Afga Point.
- Situated at the far end of Jawili Beach.
Caution: Jawili Falls is in a secluded area that tricycle or vehicles, going back to Jawili proper, rarely pass. So hire a tricycle and tell the driver to wait for you going back to Jawili proper. I didn’t know about this when I went to the place. Fortunately, I met good and accommodating locales in Jawili who helped me from Jawili falls, beach, Afga point, and back to Tangalan proper. It’s a fun misadventure!
I went back to Kalibo passed 4pm. How blessed I am on that day, the museum is still open and accepting guests.
5. Museo It Akean.
Plan the trip but not every details. Leave some space for thrills, surprises, detours, adventures, and misadventures. Spice up your trip!
This is the last stop of my 6-day trip from Negros Occidental (Silay, Talisay, Bacolod, Murcia) – Iloilo (Molo, San Joaquin, Miagao) – Aklan (Kalibo).
Hoping for more travels and crazy adventures! God bless!